One of the most common flooring alternatives for homes and businesses is carpet. Any room benefits from its warmth, comfort, and style. However, after time, stains, filth, and general wear and tear can happen to carpet. You must take proper care of your carpet, including professional carpet cleaning, if you want to preserve its new-looking appearance for as long as possible.
We will give you some advice on extending the life of your carpet in this blog post. By utilizing these tips, you can prolong the life of your carpet and avoid spending money on pricey replacements.
What Would Affect Carpet Longevity?
There are various aspects to consider while determining the carpet’s longevity. The most crucial ones are listed below:
- The carpet’s quality: Not all carpets are made equally. Some carpets are better constructed and composed of better-quality materials than others. Natural carpet fibres like wool or cotton often have a longer lifespan than synthetic fibres like nylon or polyester. However, provided they have a high density and a low pile height, synthetic carpets can also be robust and stain-resistant. The reputation and warranty of the carpet producer are also important factors in carpet quality.
- The carpet’s style: The market offers a variety of carpet types, including Berber, plush, frieze, loop, cut pile, etc. Each variety has pros and cons of its own. Berber carpets, for instance, are renowned for their toughness and stain resistance, but they may also be prone to snagging and unravelling. Soft and elegant, plush carpets can be easily marked by foot traffic and vacuum markings. Frieze carpets have a casual, textured appearance, but they may be challenging to keep clean and maintain.
- The volume of foot traffic: One of the most important elements affecting the lifespan of your carpet is the volume of foot traffic. Your carpet will gather more dirt, dust, and debris the more people walk on it. As a result, your carpet’s fibres may eventually degrade and lose their colour and texture. Compared to low-traffic spaces like bedrooms or closets, high-traffic areas like corridors, stairs, living rooms, and offices require more frequent cleaning and maintenance.
- The maintenance schedule: The frequency and quality of your carpet cleaning can have a significant impact on how long it lasts. Regular vacuuming is necessary to get rid of surface dust and grime that could harm the fibres of your carpet. It is also crucial to immediately spot-clean spills and stains to stop them from setting in and becoming permanent. To thoroughly clean your carpet and get rid of any buried dirt, bacteria, allergens, and odours, that vacuuming alone cannot reach, professional carpet cleaning is advised every 12 to 18 months.
Time to call professional carpet cleaning company – photo by Vitalik Radko
- The surrounding environment: The climate and humidity in your area might also have an impact on how long your carpet lasts. Your carpet may develop mould and mildew due to high humidity, compromising your carpet’s appearance, cleanliness, and smell. Extreme temperature change might cause your carpet to shrink or expand, resulting in wrinkles or buckling. Exposure to sunlight can cause your carpet to fade or become discoloured. Use drapes or blinds block direct sunlight, and maintain a reasonable and consistent interior temperature and humidity level.
The Expected Lifespan of Different Carpet Types
As we already mentioned, there are numerous carpet types on the market, each with a unique estimated lifespan. Flooring Canada has extensive list of different carpet styles, patterns, and colors to choose from, on their website.
Here are some projections based on current standards:
- Berber carpet: Berber carpets are comprised of looping fibres, which produce a dense and resilient surface. Due to their stain resistance and durability, they are excellent for high-traffic areas. If something sharp catches on them, though, they might also be prone to snagging and unravelling. With regular maintenance, Berber carpets can last up to 15 years.
Close look of a Berber carpet’s fibres.
- Plush carpet: Cut pile fibres that create a soft and smooth surface are used to make plush carpets. They provide comfort and luxury, making them perfect for areas with little foot traffic. However, they also easily show vacuum traces and footprints, and have a predisposition to mat with time. With the right maintenance, plush carpets can last up to ten years.
- Frieze carpet: With their loose and uneven surface, frieze carpets are constructed of twisted pile fibres. Because they effectively conceal dirt and stains, they are perfect for medium-traffic areas. But due of their uneven surface, they can also be challenging to maintain and clean. If properly maintained, frieze carpets can last up to 12 years.
Close-up photo of a frieze carpet
- Loop carpet: Loop carpets have smaller, tighter loops that result in a more even, smoother surface, similar to Berber carpets. They are strong and simple to clean, making them perfect for high-traffic areas. They might be less soft and comfortable, and cushiony than cut pile carpets. With the right maintenance, loop carpets can last up to 15 years.
Example of a loop fibre type of carpet.
- Cut pile carpet: Cut pile carpets have fibres that are cut at the ends to form a fluffy and soft surface. They provide warmth and comfort, making them perfect for low-traffic areas. Over time, they might, become more prone to fading, matting, and shedding. With the right maintenance, cut pile carpets can last up to ten years.
These are only rough estimates, and your carpet’s lifespan may differ based on the elements we covered above.
The Best Approach for Your Carpet Maintenance
You should stick to suggested maintenance procedures if you want to increase the lifespan of your carpet. Keep in mind the following tips:
- Vacuum more often: Vacuuming frequently is one of the simplest and most efficient ways to increase the lifespan of your carpet. In areas with a lot of walking activity, you should vacuum twice to three times per week, and once per week in sections with less foot traffic. Most of the surface dirt and dust, that can harm your carpet fibres and make them appear dull and worn, can be removed with a vacuum. Additionally, it helps in stopping the accumulation of bacteria and allergens in your carpet, which can harm your indoor air quality and health.
- Clean spills and stains right away: Spot cleaning spills and stains as soon as they occur is another crucial piece of advice. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to get rid of them and the more likely they will stick around permanently. Blot the spill or stain with a clean cloth or paper towel to spot clean your carpet. Work from the outside in to prevent spreading the stain. Following the manufacturer’s recommendations or the carpet guarantee, you should then apply a gentle carpet cleaner or a DIY solution to the carpet. Avoid rubbing or washing the spill or stain because doing so could harm your carpet’s fibres and cause fraying or fading. Additionally, you should refrain from utilising strong chemicals or bleach, as doing so can cause your carpet to deteriorate or get discoloured.
- Professional carpet cleaning: The next piece of advice is to hire a professional carpet cleaning company every 12 to 18 months, or more frequently if required. Professional carpet cleaners have the tools, products, and know-how to deep clean your carpet and get rid of any embedded dust, bacteria, allergens, and odours that vacuuming by alone cannot. They may also fix any stains, spots, or discolorations that may have developed over time, which can restore your carpet’s texture and appearance. Since most manufacturers require it as part of the maintenance schedule, professional carpet cleaning can also extend the warranty on your carpet.
- Protect your carpet from damage: The fourth suggestion is to help protect your carpet from outside factors like furniture, shoes, pets, sunshine, etc. To avoid your carpet being dented or torn, place coasters or furniture pads under any heavy furniture or spiky furniture legs. To protect your carpet from dirt and moisture content, you can also use rugs or mats in high-traffic areas and near entrances and exits. Additionally, you should kindly ask your visitors to take off their shoes before entering your house or place of business because they can bring in dirt, mud, gravel, and other materials that can damage your carpet. Additionally, you must clip your pet’s nails and teach them not to chew or scratch on your carpet. Direct sunlight should be blocked with curtains or blinds since it might eventually fade or discolour your carpet.
The Warning Signs That Your Carpet Needs to be Replaced
There will come a time when you need to replace your carpet, even if you follow these maintenance suggestions. The following are some indicators that you need new carpet:
- Your carpet is old: A carpet typically lasts for ten years; however, this can change based on the carpet’s quality and how well you maintain it. If your carpet is more than ten years old, it probably has to be replaced because it has reached the end of its useful life. Age-related symptoms including fading, fraying, matting, wrinkling, buckling, etc. may be visible.
- Your carpet is stained: It could be time to replace your carpet if there are spots and stains on it that cannot be removed with spot cleaning or professional carpet cleaning. They might also contain germs and smells that can harm your health and indoor air quality.
- Your carpet is worn out: It might be time to replace your carpet if it has worn-out areas due to excessive traffic or heavy furniture. A worn-out carpet can disclose the underlying padding or subfloor and they can look thin, flat, or patchy. Additionally, it may be a safety hazard risk and tripping risk. In addition to losing its insulating and soundproofing qualities, worn-out carpet can reduce the comfort and energy-efficiency of your home.
- Your carpet is damaged: It might be time to replace your carpet if it has damage like holes, burns, rips, tears, or mould. Accidents, pets, insects, water leaks, or fire are just a few sources of damage. Additionally, it can lead to health issues like the development of mould, the buildup of allergens, etc.
- Your carpet is outdated: It might be time to replace your carpet if it has become old and outdated in terms of design, colour, or pattern. What was popular ten years ago may not be so today since carpet patterns vary over time. If your carpet does not go with your current decor or aesthetic tastes, you might wish to replace it with a new carpet that does. If you intend to sell or rent your house or workplace in the future, a new carpet can also affect its appeal and value.
The Benefits of Professional Carpet Cleaning
As we already mentioned, hiring a reputable carpet cleaning service every 12 to 18 months is one of the greatest ways to improve the longevity of your carpet. Professional carpet cleaning offers a number of benefits for your carpet and your environment, including:
- Restoring your carpet’s appearance and texture
- Improving your indoor air quality and health
- Extending your carpet’s warranty
For both homes and offices, carpeting is a fantastic flooring option. It enriches any space with comfort, warmth, and style. But over time, stains, damage, and filth can all happen on carpet. You must take proper care of your carpet if you want to keep it looking new and fresh for as long as you can.
Please feel free to post any questions or comments in the section below. We’d be thrilled to hear from you.
And From Dark To Light Carpet and Upholstery Care is the company to call if you’re looking for a reputable and knowledgeable professional carpet cleaning service in Greater Toronto Area. For years, we have provided excellent and trustworthy service to our clients. To thoroughly clean your carpet and restore its original appearance, we employ innovative tools and products. Additionally, we provide reasonable rates and various scheduling alternatives to meet your demands.
Make an appointment or request a free estimate by contacting us right now. We are happy to provide you with the best service! the best service!